Monday, March 23, 2009

A good weekend...

A good weekend for me…. Shd I say wonderful since its been so long that it was so eventful? Hahhaa….. boring me…

On Friday night, , the mrs and I with 2 of our friends went to watch the Arty Farty show of ‘The Reader”. How artistic can we get nowadays? Being new to the so called “culture vulture” tag, I was determined to open up my mind to this aspect of the world that I have shunned so long. Well….. I shd have stuck with Watchmen and all that action stuff… To put it bluntly, The Reader is a book/show not to be read….. Intriguing would be a word that is too strong while horrible may be too mean to describe a movie deemed worthy of winning a Academy Award for Ms Kate Winslet. While my good friend, “Boon” thought it was interesting, I cant help but to feel that he is lying about it to make himself look more culture vulture about it… hahahaahaaa…. Even the Mrs was bored with it and she was very surprised that I was still awake at the end of the show….

I was back into something more action packed on Saturday. Or an activity that I thgt would be more action packed….. Prawnings!

It was a rainy afternoon, pouring at times….. Me and a few old friends had agreed to travel up north to do some serious prawning by the ponds. Not cheap I shd say but not too ex compared to drinking… $30 for a 3 hour attempt to make good your money.

The signs were great. I quickly settled down and within 10 mins, had caught my first tangible size prawn. I was thinking, maybe, just maybe, my luck is changing with this prawn thingy. Hahahaa…..

BOY! Was I wrong...!!?!?!! 2 ½ hours later, I only caught 3 miserable prawns!!! My fellow comrades fared no better with hits of 2, 3 and 2 respectively. I decided to seek some expert help……

Seeing a young lady pulling up prawns at a rate of 1 every 3 mins, I gravitated to her side. After a few simple hellos, she mentioned that the real experts were behind her. I turned around and saw a couple of old heroes relaxing at the back. She was just their entertainment. Hahahaha… everytime she pulls one up, one nice uncle will help to remove the huge prawns and adjust the bait for further prawning.

After more conversation and hearing the distinct advice from the uncle, I tried to practice my little flick of the wrist that would ensure the prawn is caught. The first attempts were disastrous and I suspect was a source of laughter for the heroes behind me. Hahhaaa…

FINALLY, after god knows how many times, I got my reward. In addition, I perfected my flick, which shd be aptly named the Rick’s flick! Hahaha… within the last 15 mins of my purchased time, I think I caught about 7 prawns including some for my friends. With the new found skill, we in total caught 19 prawns which were instantly barbecued and boy, do they taste good! J After years of paying my school fees, finally, I am getting some reward. Feeling so happy and satisfied with this trip..

Sunday. Gone in a flash but in short, it was another round of being ‘BROTHER’ for my good friend, Samuel. After 9 long years of courtship, he is finally getting married to Carol. Very happy for them! (Sam and Carol, if you are reading this, Congrats!! And wishing you a blissful life ahead!!!)

Well, all the things associated with being brother happened again. From the banging of the doors, to fetch the bride, to drinking, singing, cheering etc etc…. the world day was truly exhausting… Anyway, I think I am too lazy to detail it again. In summary, it was a very happy day for my friend and I am grateful to have contributed to its success.

What a busy weekend and a truly eventful one! Tired like shit.. Monday blues is going to hit hard….. (And of course, my beloved ARSENAL thrashed the shit out of Newcastle and we are going for the jugular now! GO Gunners!!!)

No comments: