Monday, October 20, 2008

Bank vs Bank

I visited 2 banks on a particular day to help my friend re-activate her account in case it is suspended due to in-activity after 6 months. The experience was totally difference.

The first (blue colour)bank I visited had just renovated and a pleasant service staff welcomed me in and directed me to the 2nd floor for a deposit service. I was happy with the new environment and service although i was irritated by the steps to reach the 2nd floor. I need not wait long although there were about 10 people in the queue. The counter staff was helpful and had initiative. She swiftly bank in the deposit I brought for my friend and gave me forms to direct my friend for a monthly statement to be sent to her Malaysia address. At the same time, I was correctly informed that no suspension would be carried out even if there is no transaction done as long as sufficient funds are kept in the account. The pleasant staff had the confident to seek my feedback and I pressed " Extremely satisfied' on the computer screen. I left the blue local bank a happy and satisfied customer.

The second (red colour) bank was quite a disaster in contrast. It was also recently renovated. I was lost as I stepped in. As I stood there wondering what to do for a good minute or so, no staff bothered to help me. I happened to catch one of the exec there as he breezed pass me. I asked politely where to do a deposit and all I got in return was a hand action pointing to the staircase for the 2nd story. ( for heaven's sake, God gave you a voice to talk)

As I climbed grudingly to the 2nd floor, my sense of irritation grew as I had to hurried up because two men were waiting to come down in the same narrow hallway. Although there was only 5 people in the queue, I had to wait slightly longer than the blue bank's queue. When it was finally my turn, I get a weird look when I said I was depositing money into my friend's account. In addition, the old bank book (from a previous bank this bank bought over) seemed to be a relic to the counter staff. He said I must change the book. For heaven's sake, just changed it then.

After a few mins of struggling and WRONGLY informing me that accounts will be suspended if there is in-activity, he called his manager Daisy over. ( I was thinking maybe I will get better service BUT BOY was i WRONG!!!!!) Well, Miss Daisy walked over and Mr Counter staff proceeded to complain about me bringing friend's bank book, dont have friend's name or ic or address, want to deposit using old book IN FRONT of me...... HELLO! where is your EQ? or IQ?

Miss Daisy started to address me in a condescending tone and starting speaking to me in Chinese like I know nuts about the banking industry. I replied in a calm but threatening tone in English. She insisted that by no means must I get to know 'her client's" bank account number and insisted that she called "her client" directly. After a few phone calls, she finally got hold of my friend and deposited my $50 into her account.

As I asked for the receipt of my $50, she said it is not possible to give and its a matter of security etc etc.... I told her to "please photocopy without account number then" and also told her," Please update your staff over there when is no suspension of account instead of just updating my friend". Totally unpleasant experience.....

I am just happy I have not a single cent in red bank because with this type of customer service in this financial crisis, I see no future for them.......

No comments: