Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Grandmother

My Grandmother........ My grandmother was born almost a century ago. She was a very simple and carefree lady who gave us an incredible amount of love in this world. Sadly, last night, the love was taken from away from us.

My grandmother told us many many stories. From the days she grew up to the days she hid from the Japanese soldiers to her taking care of her kids and later, her grandkids, the s...tories was always so real and so candidly told. She would have given JK Rowling a run for her money if she was ever educated. To think she even taught me my basis japanese inspite of not going to school ever....

I remembered my Saturdays spent at her place when I was a kid. There is always some special dish for me and my sister. There was always some extra pocket money that she would squeezed out from her very tight budgets. There was always time for us. I will always remember the food, the cosy environment and the love that will so abundent in the one room flat.

My grandmother was open minded and advance looking while also making sure that she does not trouble anyone. Every once in a while, you can hear the F word from her about some opinion that she has. It is also rumoured that she encouraged one of my uncle to get married to an ang moh in the 1960s! Totally cool!!! She did not like to trouble anyone and always handled things on her own. Even when she was nearly blind in one eye in her 70s, she would insist on walking on her own to the market to buy her own food and papers.

When she was bedridden, we were all devastated, but she retained her joyful nature. The jokes kept on coming and when she is in her mood, no one was able to resist her charms. She would always cajole us into a game of mahjong, but being busy Singaporeans, we would never always comply. How I wished I said yes more times to her.

As she grew weaker by the day, the pain of losing her grew stronger as she slipped between conscientous and dementia.... On good days, we were able to have funny conversations. On bad days, she would be in a foul mood and snap at you albeit in a very funny way. We would still enjoy her attention on us.

In a way, I guessed it is a form of release for her and for all of us who have enjoyed her attention over the years. I must believe that she has gone to a better place and hope she has a safe passage there and start bringing joy and love to everyone again.

Goodbye my dearest Jia Jia.

Wake at: 405, Upper Changi Road, till Tues.

No comments: